Police Explorer Program
The Morgan Hill Police Department's Explorer Program provides youth between the ages of 14 to 21 the opportunity to gain first hand experience and knowledge of the law enforcement profession. The Explorer Program exposes youth to the many duties of police officers and law enforcement professionals while building self-esteem and character. The program's mission is to expose youth to some of the tools and skills necessary for a career in law enforcement, but these skills will also benefit them in any career they ultimately choose.
As an Explorer, participants learn the value of team work, cooperation, and personal accountability by helping officers with various tasks and providing support where needed. Explorer's also serve the community by volunteering at special events.
Police Officers, along with Public Safety Dispatchers and other law enforcement professionals, serve as Explorer advisors. Explorers participate in state-wide competitions with Explorers from other agencies. The competitions provide them with the opportunity to simulate real-life police scenarios, such as searching for suspicious persons and response to domestic violence calls for service.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 14 and 21.
- Must be currently enrolled in school and maintain a "C" average or better.
- Cannot have any felony convictions or have any pending criminal cases.
- Must have a genuine interest in law enforcement, providing service to the community, and working as a member of a team.
- There is no cost to join the program, but Explorers are required to purchase their own uniform and equipment. Financial assistance is available for those who qualify.
- Participants are expected to attend all regularly scheduled meetings, trainings, and competitions.
How to Apply
Interested, qualified persons must submit an Explorer application available here (PDF). All applications will be reviewed to ensure that the applicant meets all basic requirements. Applicants must also submit to a preliminary criminal records background check. Qualified applicants will be asked to participate in a formal interview.