Morgan Hill is located in southern Santa Clara Valley, approximately 12 miles south of San Jose, 10 miles north of Gilroy, and 15 miles inland from the Pacific Coast. The Valley is approximately 4 miles wide and is surrounded by the Santa Cruz mountain range to the west, and the Diablo mountain range to the east. Its picturesque hillside setting and exceptional quality of life are very appealing.
Parks and open spaces abound, making Morgan Hill one of the last communities in the region with a charming, small town atmosphere and a short commute to the businesses of the Silicon Valley. Caltrain runs daily through the city and connects commuters to San Jose’s light rail systems throughout the Bay Area. Morgan Hill is considered a natural setting for business, providing a balanced environment that inspires innovation and productivity.
- Incorporated in 1906
- General law city with a council-manager form of government
- Mayor is directly elected to serve two-year terms.
- Four City Council members elected to serve four year terms
- City Clerk elected to serve four year terms.
- City Treasurer elected to serve four year terms.
- Volunteer Planning Commission
- Seven members
- Appointed by a majority vote of the City Council
- Four-year terms.